Very Short Reviews of the Best Picture Nominees I've Seen
Watching The Artist was a thoroughly enjoyable experience.
For some reason I thought Brad Pitt was going to be in this movie. I was mildly disappointed that he wasn’t. Far too much of this movie was George Clooney playing a bumbling private detective searching for Matthew Lillard. Given the ending, why didn’t we ever see anyone camp on the family’s land?
Procter and Gamble sold “Pringles” to Kellogg for $2.7 billion? I should have gotten over this by now, but it’s still crazy to me that the rights to the idea of a snack food (and I guess the recipe and probably some equipment) is worth money. Anyway, Mark turns this into a discussion about the insanity that is processed foods. Take it away, Mark:
[Pringles are] only 42 percent potato anyway, and about 33 percent fat, though the “reduced fat” variety is “only” 25 percent fat.
[Only] 20 percent of all corn is consumed directly as food, and little of that is sold in the form of whole or even ground corn. Most of it is processed into junk food, and the remaining 80 percent is used for animal feed or ethanol.
Every passing day gives me more and more reason to just start making my own potato chips.
This will eventually be part of a piece I plan on writing in the coming month, but this article does a good job of crystallizing some of my thoughts about the absolute terribleness that is Internet dating:
So now you have this market where everyone is presenting themselves as a good type. Some of them are probably lying. You don’t know which ones, so you’ll value every potential date a little bit less than as good as they look. (Even in the real world, people are understandably willing to offer less for the prospect of a seemingly good date when they know they might really end up with a psycho killer or a gold-digger or a bore.) That’s smart for you, maybe, but it’s bad for the good types. Some of them will surely think they’re much better than the tepid replies they get from other singles, and they’ll respond by leaving the dating market. “Screw OkCupid,” they’ll say. “I deserve more!”
More than anything, I think we could be considered as curators of our Internet personae. Some are more well-manicured than others. Given how big of a free-for-all Facebook is when it comes to interactions with other profiles, it may offer the most accurate picture of our online selves. Our dating profiles, on the other hands, are some of the stalest, most frozen, unnatural, and false versions of us that are out there. How they can ever lead to romance I’ll never know.